If you are going to be away from home, either on holiday, with work or just visiting friends you need to do a few things before you leave:
- Make sure you have home contents insurance for your possessions.
- Don’t leave valuables, car keys or easy to carry things like televisions, where they can be seen from the window.
- Switch off all electric sockets except for the fridge and freezer. Unplug all electrical gadgets.
- Close and lock all your windows and doors.
- Use timer switches in different rooms which will switch lights on and off at different times.
- Cancel any newspaper and mail deliveries.
- Tell a friend that you are going away and ask them to keep an eye on your home.
If you are going to be away from your home for more than 28 days you need to let your Tenancy Management Officer know.