What if you need to move?

What if you need to move?

If you need to leave your home quickly because you are worried for your own or your children’s safety, there are two options available to you:

  • Manchester City Council – If you have to leave your home because of domestic abuse, the Council may have a legal duty to help. The Council will look into your circumstances and if appropriate, can arrange temporary accommodation at once.
  • Women’s Refuge – There is a network of Women’s Aid organisations providing a wide range of services including advice, support and if needed, a place in a refuge.
  • Wythenshawe Safespots – Wythenshawe Safespots is a user led domestic abuse organisation based in South Manchester. Since 2016, Safespots has supported over 1967 women who have experienced domestic abuse.

What will happen to my home if I leave permanently?

If you decide to leave quickly and permanently, you will be able to claim Housing Benefit on both properties for a maximum of 4 weeks. You should never consider ending your tenancy without taking advice.

Temporary absence from home

As long as you intend to return to the property within 52 weeks, Housing Benefit can be paid both for your home and temporary accommodation for up to one year. The rules to qualify for this benefit are complicated – you must take advice from your Tenancy Management Officer and fill in the necessary forms as soon as you can after leaving.

Can I apply for a transfer?

You can apply to WCHG for a transfer if you feel this may help. You may qualify for a high priority. Your Housing Officer will be able to tell you about this.

You can be moved more quickly if you are flexible about choice of area or type of property.

What if my home is damaged?

If a property is deliberately damaged, it is usually up to the tenant to pay for repairs. If, however, the abuser damages your home you may not have to pay for any of these repairs. You must discuss this with your Housing Officer.

What if I am in rent arrears?

If you are suffering from domestic abuse, Wythenshawe Community Housing Group can still offer you accommodation if your rent account is in arrears.

Thinking ahead

If your situation is not an immediate emergency, but it might become one, keep these things in a safe place where you can easily find them:

  • Telephone numbers of family or friends and other useful contacts.
  • Cash for a taxi, bus or train.
  • Spare keys for the house or car.
  • Change of clothes for you and anybody else that may leave with you.
  • Essential documents such as passport and bank details.
  • A plan of where to go and how to get there.
  • Essential things, such as medicine.