What is it?
Under the Governments “A better deal for tenants – Your new Right to Repair” scheme we must make sure that certain small urgent repairs which might affect your health, safety or security are done quickly and easily. We are told by law to carry out these repairs within a certain time. Click here for more information.
You are entitled to compensation if you report an emergency or urgent repair and we fail twice to make the repair within the target timescales. Sometimes there may be a good reason why a repair can’t be done. For example if you didn’t keep the appointment to let the workmen in and they therefore couldn’t carry out the repair. In these circumstances you would not be entitled to compensation.
If the repair is not completed on time you will receive £10 in compensation. For every extra day you wait you will get another £2. The most compensation you can get for any one job is £50.
If you owe Wythenshawe Community Housing Group money the compensation will be used to pay off the amount you owe.
The scheme covers small urgent jobs that would cost us less than £250 to get done. The table below shows some typical repairs covered by “Right to Repair”.
One day response time:
- Total loss of electric power.
- Unsafe power or lighting or electrical fitting.
- Total loss of water supply.
- Total or partial loss of gas supply.
- Blocked flue to open fire or boiler.
- Total or partial loss of space heating or water heating.
- Leak from water or heating pipe, tank or cistern.
- Insecure external window, door or lock.
Five days response time:
- Partial loss of electric power.
- Partial loss of water supply.
- Blocked sink, bath or basin.
- Leaking roof.
- Loose or detached banister or handrail.
- Door entry phone not working.